Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
A Woman's Walk: Attractiveness in Motion
Topic Started: Nov 24 2009, 05:11:15 PM (666 Views)
Starbuck
[ *  *  * ]
A Woman's Walk: Attractiveness in Motion
Doyle

Quote:

Abstract:

Men are attracted to the movements of women's bodies. The aim of this paper is to answer the question: what is the mechanism? The role of the peak shift effect in perceptions of physical attractiveness involving women's waist-to-hip ratios (WHRs) in biological motion is presented. Photographs of a coordinated motor patter, walking, are investigated with a novel measurement method. Evidence is presented that the behavior pattern contains alternating left and right side, attractive (S+) and unattractive (S-), WHR stimuli. A WHR stimulus range is established that is sufficient to generate peak shift effects in perceptions of physical attractiveness. It is predicted that WHRs in attractive behavior patterns will be significantly lower than those previously found to be preferred using 0.70 WHR still images. Therefore WHRs in motion represent S++, or "supernormal stimuli", in behavior.

http://www.jsecjournal.com/Doyleproof.pdf
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

black man
The Right Hand
[ *  *  * ]
I'll explain why I moved this topic to the new "Sociography" subforum...

There can be different types of "walk", including, e.g., the natural and economic "walk" of ideal athletes. So it depends on taste (definitely ethnic and, probably even more, subcultural backgrounds of the observer) what kind of "walk" the opposite sex finds attractive. And what Doyle seems to address is just one of many possibilities.

I'll probably change the title sooner or later because the topic should IMO not be too close to the frog perspective of a few Western guys who prefer certain distinctively Western types of "walk".
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sociography · Next Topic »
Add Reply