Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Symbolism
Topic Started: Mar 31 2009, 08:35:25 AM (395 Views)
manju
Member Avatar
doubter
[ *  *  * ]
Symbolism in Relation to Religion
By James Ballantyne Hannay

About phallic worship in India:
Quote:

There is little of this cult in Vedas, the sacred brahmanical books, which, although very mystical, teach a Microphillic cult, and it is most probably that Aryans derived this cult from the aboriginal Dravidians, whom they conquered on entering India.

This shows the hold such a cult has on humanity when a higher race adopts if from a lower. But this will seen to be always the case, the mere poetic and philosophical religions had to adopt the superstitions held by the lower people in order to get a hearing for their higher ideas.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ren
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Were the Vedas brought by the IEs or rather a adoption by them of Dravidian ideas?

manju
Member Avatar
doubter
[ *  *  * ]
ren
Mar 31 2009, 09:47:44 AM
Were the Vedas brought by the IEs or rather a adoption by them of Dravidian ideas?
The deities of Vedas clearly have IE origins. But I think the hymn like nature shows West Asian influence. In my opinion, the priest caste belongs to West Asian model.

As far as I know, Dravidian identity wasn't known before IEs. Also, phallic worship is known to have entered Dravidian regions from north (Kashmir) and East India during historical times. Dravidians were basically known as spirit, goddess worshippers (the tribes still are and they aren't phallic worshippers).

ren
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I don't know if Hindu gods can be fully traced back to Indo-European religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion

Hinduism seems to be much more something else..

manju
Member Avatar
doubter
[ *  *  * ]
ren
Apr 14 2009, 04:54:26 AM
I don't know if Hindu gods can be fully traced back to Indo-European religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion

Hinduism seems to be much more something else..
By Hinduism, if you mean later Brahmanical religion or the caste system then the deities do not have much in common with Vedic deities. In fact, many of those deities mentioned in the article are hardly known or minors.

And why not some of those common deities may be due to West Asian J2a people as they migrated to IE speaking regions(and also to India). A small percentage of J2a is observed in Northern Europe anyway.

I think a better comparative study considering population genetics should be done.

In this sense;
- R1a, R1b and I must be considered IE and J2a, E1b Semitic.
- The comparison should be mainly between Norse and Indian deities.

ren
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Why with Norse? My understanding is that the Germanic peoples are as much an Indo-Europeanized people as much as other Europeans. Germanic seems to have a large Uralic (and who knows what else) substratum to their words, and the Nordic region has its share of non-IE elements I would think.

But I do think Greek/Roman and Norse mythology is much closer to original IE beliefs than the Hindu pantheon is.

Whatever the case, the quote in your first post is grossly prejudiced. It presupposes a sophisticated IE belief system that is yet to be demonstrated.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Social Anthropology · Next Topic »
Add Reply