Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
MtDNA hg D in northern Han
Topic Started: Apr 20 2017, 09:35:30 PM (57 Views)
black man
The Right Hand
[ *  *  * ]
When compared with Japanese and southern Korean mtDNA hg profiles, northern Han mtDNA hg profiles tend to have lower percentages of samples in hg D as a whole. As for those samples the frequencies of which I checked, one Shandong Qingdao sample is the only one which happens to have a frequency higher than that of any of the Korean samples the frequencies of which I checked: more than 30% of this particular sample are in hg D. Furthermore, there are those northern Han samples of which one quarter or more are in hg D: they are from Liaoning Shenyang, Henan Suiping and Henan Taihang. And there are samples from Beijing and Liaoning Fengcheng, of which only about 20% are in hg D. So mtDNA hg D frequencies as such are relatively high and relatively evenly distributed in northern Han judging from the data of which I'm aware. (By contrast, data from middle, southern and western China appear to imply low frequencies of this hg at some locations and extreme founder effects at others. So interpreting mtDNA hg D data in non-northern Han might turn out to be complicated in case that we have to distinguish between mtDNA lineages which arrived there as pre-Han lineages and mtDNA lineages which arrived there as Han lineages.)

Now, speaking of relative frequencies, mtDNA hg D5 seems to be generally more common in northern Han than in Japanese and southern Koreans. That said, the highest relative frequencies among southern Koreans are those of "Seoul-Gyeonggi", Gangwon and Jeolla Koreans, whereas the lowest relative frequencies among northern Han are those of Shandong Qingdao and Liaoning Fengcheng Han as for those samples of which I'm aware. Concerning the Shandong sample, mtDNA hg D4a was relatively common. And in one Liaoning sample the exact location of which was reported the D4b frequency was quite high. So certain Shandong and Liaoning Han might have more in common with southern Koreans than other Han do. Maybe this phenomenon reflects a pre-Han substratum population which happend to have been matrilocal. In any case, the contrast to small-scale lineages within hg D, such as D4c, D4e, D4g, D4h, D4j, D4m and D4q in the Liaoning Han sample of Xu et al. should be obvious.

Sources:
Chen Feng et al. 2008
Chen Feng et al. 2015
Chen Yenching et al. 2013
Hong et al. 2014
Irwin et al. 2008
Kong et al. 2003
Li Dongna et al. 2013
Li Xiaoyun et al. 2007
Sakahira et al. 2007
Umetsu et al. 2005
Wen et al. 2004
Xu et al. 2017
Yao et al. 2002
Zhao et al. 2009
Zheng et al. 2011
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Modern Regional and Local Studies (from Ming period on) · Next Topic »
Add Reply